The Student Conservation Association's Online Community
To get ready for your position, SCA has a series of steps that need to be completed so that you can have a happy, safe and effective position – these are also needed for SCA’s compliance requirements! If you are like me, you hear the word compliance and your eye’s glaze over, but don’t worry, I’m going to walk you through all the steps!
You will be getting a bunch of emails from a lot of different email addresses in the coming days and weeks, please make sure to open and read each of them… and contact someone at SCA if you are confused! Our onboarding team is your one stop shop for all enrollment questions, you can contact them at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Here is a checklist of everything required for your position:
Things you'll need:
• Photo ID
• US Passport or Birth Certificate (or other proof of citizenship)
• Social Security number
• Digital camera/scanner
• Computer with internet access
Things to do:
• Sign Documents in your MySCA Portal
• Upload ID documents in your MySCA Portal (this is where the camera comes in handy!)
• Complete background checks and I-9
• Read the intern or corps hand book
• Complete required AmeriCorps Orientation training(s) for interns or corps members
• Make sure you have a place to live (most positions come with housing, but if you aren't sure, check with your SCA Adviser)
• Book your travel to the site (or get ready to drive!)
• Set up your MyAmeriCorps portal and complete the enrollment form:
For members serving with AmeriCorps for the first time, please create a profile: https://my.americorps.gov/mp/recruit/registration.do (If you already have a MyAmeriCorps account from previous service, you do not need to create another profile)
You will receive an email from email@example.com to complete an enrollment invite (check your spam folder!) at least 1 week before your position's start date. Click the link in the email, log into your MyAmeriCorps account, and complete the enrollment form on the homepage.
If you have any questions during this process, please email AmeriCorps@thesca.org
• I don't see my documents in the MySCA portal, how do I know when they've been sent?
• I don't have my birth certificate, permanent resident card, or US passport handy, can I still serve in AmeriCorps?
• I'm a little nervous about uploading all of this personal information on to the web, are there any alternatives?
• Why are you conducting background checks on me? I'm not a bad guy, I promise!
• How will I know what to do for these background checks?
• I'm super confused by all of these emails I am getting, who can I contact to help me figure this out?